People with Disabilities
In the fall of 1998, the USCCB commemorated the 20th anniversary of their previous pastoral statement with Welcome and Justice for Persons with Disabilities: A Framework of Access and Inclusion, emphasizing that,
"We must recognize and appreciate the contributions that persons with disabilities can make to the Church's spiritual life and encourage them to do the Lord's work in the world according to their God-given talents and capacity."
We, the Diocesan Commission for Persons with Disabilities, believe that reaching out as Jesus did is the heart of our Catholic Faith. As one flock with one Shepherd, we will:
- Pray for all people with disabilities, their families, pastors and parish communities.
- Educate the Catholic Community of Utah of the rights and needs of people with disabilities. We bear witness to all people by our actions.
- Promote the rights of accessibility and participation of all persons in diocesan and parish liturgical celebrations and catechetical programs to encourage full spiritual life in the Catholic Faith.
- Support the Bishop, pastors, persons with disabilities and their families in pursuing positive faith-filled life experiences.
- Assist parish communities in developing the means for full participation of persons with disabilities in all areas of ministry and programs in their parish communities.
- Give Thanks and appreciate the gifts persons with disabilities bring to the spiritual life of our parishes and our Diocese.
Director, Office of Human Resources and People with Disabilities
Assistant to the Vicar for the Clergy; Assistant to the Director of Human Resource and People with Disabilities